Ball-Wonk issued this prognostication challenge a few days ago and I'll admit that it has vexed me a little bit because it is forcing me to think about unpleasant possibilities and harsh realities that, even before Opening Day, I'd just rather not think about.
But here goes. Please note that, for the most part, I'm just whistling in the dark here with the best educated guesses I can come up with.
1. Nationals season record. 77-85
2. Nationals NL East division place and games back (if any). 4th, 18
3. Date on which Nick Johnson first appears in a Nationals game. May 26th
4. Date on which Nick Johnson suffers season-ending injury. Aw, come on...
5. Nationals team leader in pitching starts, with number of starts. Patterson, 24
6. Total number of starting pitchers used. 12
7. Number of ejections for Manny Acta. 2
8. Guzman's batting average, on-base percentage, and slugging average. .275, .287, .380
9. Nationals home runs at RFK. 50
10. Paid attendance for the July 21 game against Colorado at RFK (our only Fox national broadcast of 2007). 21,072